Ardbeg has just released what they call a “revolutionary” limited edition whisky… Ardbeg Fon Fhòid (Scottish Gaelic for “under the grass”).
In a statement prepared by Ardbeg, the distillers explained that it was Islay’s first underground single malt, buried in a bog for more than two years. And the new expression is the brand’s inaugural NFT (non-fungible token) edition.
The earthy, mossy, herbal Ardbeg will be available exclusively on BlockBar.com.
Established in 1815, Ardbeg is known as one of the most peated, smokiest and most complex of all Islay malts. The idea of bringing the smoky spirit back to its peaty roots came from the mind of Ardbeg’s Whiskey Creative Director, Dr. Bill Lumsden.
In 2014 the idea germinated and Ardbeg’s team, led by then distillery manager Mickey Heads, took two casks of whiskey aged in second-fill bourbon casks and buried them in a peaty spot. near the distillery.
Two years and 10 months later, they unearthed Ardbeg Fon Fhòid.
The limited 456-bottle release is available for purchase exclusively on BlockBar.com starting at 10 a.m. EST on April 19. Those who obtain a bottle will receive a digital certificate that verifies their ownership and the authenticity of the bottle, which will be stored at BlockBar’s facilities in Singapore until redeemed.
The buyer can also choose to trade their NFT on the BlockBar.com marketplace, keep it in their virtual bar, or gift the NFT through BlockBar’s gifting platform.
“I think it’s safe to say we’ve unearthed a really special Ardbeg here. Ardbeg Fon Fhòid is earthy and mossy with one hell of a herbal nose,” Lumsden said. some of Ardbeg’s own buried treasure – hope you pick up a bottle.”
Thomas Moradpour, President and CEO of The Glenmorangie Company, owner of the Ardbeg Distillery, said: “We are delighted to launch this first and exclusive NFT version of Ardbeg, one of the world’s most collectible whiskies. Our whiskey makers are always pushing the boundaries of experimentation, it’s a chance to own one of their most intriguing creations to date, a true piece of Ardbeg history.
Dov Falic, CEO and Co-Founder of BlockBar, said his team is “delighted to partner with the iconic Ardbeg Distillery to launch their first-ever NFT. We hope whiskey fans new and old will take the opportunity to join our community and experience this peated experience, which BlockBar will keep in pristine condition until owners are ready to enjoy it.
Notes from distiller Ardbeg Fon Fhòid:
- Aroma: Pungent, waxy and salty with a curious but distinctive mossy note. This is then followed by a dash of molasses or cane sugar. There’s also a musty/earthy base note, like stepping into a damp whiskey warehouse. A little water releases more herbaceous notes, almost like asparagus or artichoke. Next comes a waxy, oily scent, reminiscent of a freshly waxed jacket with a distinctive soapy aroma.
- To taste: A slightly drying palate is followed by some savory notes, such as grilled artichoke and ground pepper, as well as a suggestion of rye bread. Ardbeg’s classic smoke is subdued, but still in the background, coming across as tar-coated fennel.
- To finish: Bold and slightly drying, with a distinctive salty bacon taste.
- Barrels: Second Fill Bourbon
- ABV: 45.5%
- Color: pale straw
- Price: 1 ETH (encrypted currency)
For more information see www.ardbeg.com.