Westward Whiskey is honoring Women’s History Month this month with two key initiatives, one of which is a new “Women of Westward” single malt release.
As part of what is described as Westward’s ongoing commitment to female leadership in the spirits industry, as they have done for the past three years, they will honor and toast their own dynamic team. women, and all women, with:
- WESTWARD WOMEN BENEFIT FROM BARRELS
Since 2020, Westward’s has raised nearly $20,000 for women’s causes through the release of three Westward American Single Malt Benefit barrels, with 100% of proceeds going to partner charities. There are still a handful of bottles left in stock for 2022.
- THE ACSA STEPUP FOUNDATION
Additionally, Westward has been selected as the first-ever host distillery for the STEPUP Foundation, ACSA’s comprehensive internship program dedicated to creating greater gender and racial diversity in distilled spirits. Westward currently works alongside Erin Lee, an Asian-American woman who has used her background in fashion and management to pursue her passion for whiskey.
The Women of Westward Benefit Barrel officially launched in 2021 and is available on WestwardWhiskey.com, with 100% of proceeds going to two charities: Al Otro Lado and Black Mamas Matter Alliance.
- Al Otro Lado provides holistic legal and humanitarian support to indigent refugees, deportees, and other migrants in the United States and Tijuana through a multidisciplinary, client-centered, harm reduction-based practice.
- Black Mamas Matter Alliance is a cross-sector alliance led by Black women that centers Black moms to advocate, drive research, build power and change culture in support of Black mothers’ health, rights and justice.
The Women of Westward Barrel was selected by the 2021 All-Female Barrel Selection Panel, comprised of beverage industry influencers from across the country, including:
- Alexis Belton-Tinoco (her): bar manager, The Aviary.
- Ashtin Berry (her): bartender, educator, equity worker.
- Emily Mistell (her): Owner/Beverage Manager, Hey Love.
- Lauren Paylor (her): Owner + Co-founder Focus on Health.
- Natasha David (her): co-owner, You & Me Cocktails.
- Tiffanie Barriere (her): Barmaid, Educator, Innovator.
The Women of Westward single malt displays a 90 proof and has a suggested retail price of $99.99.
The distiller’s notes show that the single malt has an aroma of caramelized sugar, honeysuckle and banana. On the palate, it tastes of vanilla spice, ripe fruit and banana bread. The finish is buttery, with dried autumn spices and rich malt.
For more information or availability, see www.westwardwhiskey.com.